2 January 2009

Kiva - loans that change lives

I saw it on Kees' blog, he picked it from someone else's - and maybe someone will pick up the idea from my blog: joining a microfinance organisation, investing a little of the money we have in a loan for someone who will do more with it than go to the movies or a restaurant.

Over Christmas, money was lent lavishly on Kiva and requests were filled within minutes, but when I checked Kiva again today, there were plenty of fundraising requests waiting to be filled.

For starters, I have decided to contribute to a loan applied for by a group of 5 women in Pakistan who each have their own reasons (from wanting to fix a vehicle to buying a buffalo to sell its milk) for the loan application. I do like this idea of a group loan, the solidarity among the applicants that it reflects.

If I have wetted your appetite or rather pulled successfully at the strings of your moneybag, just follow the link on the banner on the right of my blog.

No comments: