24 January 2009

Old Friends

Thinking of people is easy. It doesn't require an effort. You just do.

Staying in touch, making the effort to write or phone regularly, is a different story. At least I seem to botch this up regularly. But it doesn't mean I forget.

Today I finally found a trace again of someone I spent time with decades ago. In Occidental College, Glendale, CA, to be exact.

Ginny was my roomate at Oxy, from Tucson, Arizona. She always was avid on hiking, but over 20 years ago, she decided to take the ultimate hike and walk the Appalachian Trail. I only walked a few days on the West Highland Way in Scotland about the same time, without knowing what she did, but I got a glimpse of the fascination of long trail hiking.

Ginny kept on walking, I didn't. Her trail diaries, which I found today, are impressive. They are worthwhile reading. And maybe they will get you longing, just as I do now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA.. my dear viking.
Check this www.risoms.blogspot.com

Thomas

Anonymous said...

Sad. Did'nt meet you at the Winterbankett. Haven't met you for two years. Sad.
CU
Radi