29 August 2008

Foxtrot India Tango in the Golf Yankee Mike

11:35h

Searching the internet for something has similar effects as searching a dictionary for a word or an encyclopedia for information: you regularly come across information you weren't actually looking for but which is so interesting that you spend more time with it than you should.

In my case, I was looking for ideas of how to translate a very German (labour law) term into Dutch, when I stumbled across a list of telephone alphabets on a Dutch website. You know, the Alpha Bravo Charlie Stuff, but in 7 different languages including NATO.

I was missing a few languages and went a-googling, and the second entry lead me to an FAQ which not only lists the various alphabets but also all sorts of variations from old handbooks or phonebooks.

The third source, of course, is the Wikipedia. The NATO Phonetic Alphabet is as good a starting point as any, it is useful not only when you are inside a NATO tank but also when you try to rearrange a plane ticket on the other side of the globe. And via the Wikipedia languages frame you get to quite some other national alphabets.

Bah! I'm procrastinating... back to my translation!


17:30h

I finished the translation in time to go to the gym. I'm turning into a fitness junkie!!!

Scary, really scary!


23:15h

Time to log off. I'll explain about the gym some other day.

No comments: